Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bernini's Corpus & a new Dominican

The other day I had the opportunity to see Bernini's Corpus which is on display at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

The Corpus is a bronze-cast life-size crucified Jesus, minus the cross. I went with my friend and soon-to-be-Dominican Jason who is a art-history expert, having taught it in high school for three years now. The exhibit is on until October 7th.

What I was told to look for in this piece is the focus on humanity and the hope for resurrection. Whereas German and Spanish artists would focus on the suffering of Jesus, Italian renaissance artists such as Bernini focused on his humanity.

Also on display were busts that Bernini made of two of his Papal commissioners. It was all part of an exhibit of Medieval and Renaissance treasures.




***Later***

Anyway, Jason is now Brother Jason of the Order of Preachers, having joined yesterday. He told me that it was a long journey to this decision, having first considered the Fraternity of St. Peter. I think I'm using too many ablative absolutes, but that's just my grammar style. (Thank you Fr Alban!)

No comments: