Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Top Ten Signs that this TV station is Catholic

Hmmm... Let's start with the lifesize paintings of Saints - young Saints - as you enter through the door. How about the poster of "the Passion of the Christ" on the wall? Or the computer-generated image of the facade of St. Peter's Basilica that hangs over my computer?

Stoll along the bookshelves, and instead of books you'll find tapes labelled, "WYD2000"; "Papal Funeral Mass;" and "Molla Family interviews".

How about the fact that there is a rather large - comparitively speaking - chapel built right in the middle of the station?

Or photos of JP2 with most of my co-workers?

Or that the CEO is a priest?

There's also all of the World Youth Day paraphernilia. And at least 3 icons of Christos Pantokrator in various places. And very old sheets, behind glass, of Gregorian Chant displayed on the walls.

And that's just the beginning.

Welcome to Salt and Light TV. Available on Bell Express-Vu and Rogers digital cable. We need to work on Shaw cable so that we can be displayed in the Western provinces. They consider us Catholics a "sect" and, I guess, too brainwashed to be exposed to the general public. Never mind that 45% of Canada is nominally Catholic.

Well, I've been here nearly three days now. I've got my feet wet in a few departments - marketing, production, post-production. Today I transcripted a "Catholic Focus" episode called "Pro-Life Toolkit," featuring (to my pleasant surprise) a certain young woman named Stephanie who is very actively involved with Pro-Life work. The "Catholic Focus" series has become the signature piece for this TV station, and the transcription work had to be done because an American TV station (not EWTN) wants to broadcast them and they require closed-captioning.

So that's the start of my work. I hope to update again soon.

God Bless,
Dave

1 comment:

DP said...

Hey Dave!

I'm happy to hear you made it save and sound to Salt & Light. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic experience for you. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.